[projectaon] Re: Freeway/Highway/interstate usage

  • From: Benjamin I Krefetz <krefetz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:31:19 -0400 (EDT)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_820

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Nicholas Matzen wrote:

I would like to point out an important detail about the US Interstate system -- Interstate freeways always are one or two digit
numbers, while state highways are three digit numbers - so the "Highway 820" usage is correct here. I agree about
changing "Freeway 20" and "Freewaw 35" to "Interstate 20" and "Interstate 35", as it just
flows better, IMO.

Nicholas Matzen

HIGHWAY HOLOCAUST

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/fw/01hh/title.htm>

(er)    17, 36, 61, 86, 93, 136, 178, 182, 196, 321, 327:       Freeway 20 ->
Interstate 20
(er)    22, 29, 105 [x3], 144, 160 [x3], 211, 315:      Freeway 35 ->
Interstate 35
(er)    22 [x3], 224:   Highway 820 -> Interstate 820
(er)    22:     Freeway 20, the interstate highway -> Interstate Freeway 20,
the highway
[bk: Also, I hate to open another can of worms, but I was going back through
the series, and the author's inconsistent in how he refers to Interstate
highways in the first 2 books but quite consistent in the last 2 books.
Specifically, an Interstate should never just be referred to as "Freeway X".
"Interstate X" is preferred, "Interstate Freeway X" is acceptable, but
"Freeway X" when referring to an Interstate is just wrong.]

This is a tough issue because while these roads are officially
designated "Interstate XXX", I'm used to people referring to the roads
in my area colloquially like "the freeway", "Highway XXX", "the XXX",
or "I-XXX". I'm not used to them referring to them as "Freeway XXX",
but was this done because British readers would be confused by
"Interstate XXX"? (Like I was by "gaoler"?!)

** As Ben points out, the usage is both non-standard and inconsistent.
Although I'm British-speaking, I would agree with making this change.
"Interstate" isn't really any different to "freeway" inasmuch as I use
neither of them. ;-) It is clear from the context what Interstate is
referring to, anyway, so there should be no confusion.