[projectaon] Automatically develop flowcharts using Graphviz (was Re: Flowchart)

  • From: Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 23:02:35 +0200

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 08:25:27PM -0700, Jonathan Blake wrote:
> Looks great! What tools did you use to create the graphs/flowcharts?

[ To the list, removing attached file ]

I'm not sure what tool did David use, but I did a similar thing 4 years ago
using Graphviz.

I did this to map some old Fighting Fantasy books (Sorcery!) as well as to
do a "book tester" to find the "fastest path" through a book. If someone
wants to take a look at the code (it's GPLd) I can send it over off list, as
the contents are too big to be sent here (>4 MB)

It includes:

  - tools to generate the "map" text files
  - a tool to print the "shortest path" in a "map" file
  - a tool to generate (using Graphviz) the maps
  - some rough notes (see README.txt)
  - some sample "maps", including some generated based on PA's XML files and
        somes I wrote from scratch myself (for Sorcery!)

I attach a sample diagram generated using Graphviz.

When I first developed it I was not aware that Lone Wolf had XML files, when
I found out the project's XML files I made a tool to parse then
automatically. The problem, however, is that there are sections that look
like "dead ends" but actually point to sections that are not in the XML file
(i.e. puzzles) so the auto-generated text file has to be manually tweaked to
include these too.

I did not upload these anywhere, but if the project is interested I could put
these in SVN to automatically generate Graphviz maps, maybe in other format
(SVG?)

Regards,

Javier