[projectaon] Re: 05sots text map replacement and 18dotd updated

  • From: "Jonathan Blake" <blake.jon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:37:25 -0800

[ ] all - suggestions on 07cd section 11

I've been working on synthesizing the suggestions for how to describe
the puzzle in Castle Death section 11. I tried to avoid geometric
jargon in some of the descriptions. I've included three alternatives
that would all be included in the footnote. Suggestions?

"The plaque can be formed in the following way. A regular hexagon
(i.e. a six-sided shape with all sides of equal length and all angles
equal) is divided into six equal triangles by three lines which extend
from each corner to its opposite (i.e. one line for each of three
pairs of opposite corners). A larger triangle is formed from the
hexagon by placing three triangles (of the same size and shape as the
triangles in the hexagon) next to three alternating sides of the
hexagon (i.e. if the sides of the hexagon are numbered 1-6, then the
sides of the triangles should be attached to sides 2, 4, and 6).

"Alternately, the plaque could be formed from equilateral triangles
(i.e. triangles with three equal sides) in the following way. A single
triangle is placed on the plaque with one of its corners pointing
down. Three new triangles are attached to the sides of the first
triangle. The result so far should resemble a large triangle with one
corner pointing up. Two more small triangles (pointing down) are
attached to the bottom of this large triangle. Finally, three new
triangles (pointing up) are attached to the latest two so that, all
together, the plaque forms one large triangle.

"The final, triangular plaque has five interlocking rows of small
triangles. Starting from the top, it has a row of one triangle
pointing up, a row of one triangle pointing down, a row of two
triangles pointing up, a row of two triangles pointing down, and a row
of three triangles pointing up."