[projectaon] Re: 03toz errata

  • From: Benjamin Krefetz <krefetz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 11:56:16 -0400

Fwiw this is the only time in the series that any character refers to that
city in speech. So we don't necessarily need to be consistent with the
author spelling out the full name of Ciudad Juarez every other time it
appears, since those are in descriptions.

Ben

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Jimmy Murray <barefootjimmy@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Yeah, in Texas we never call it anything other than "Juarez" (assuming
English is the language being spoken, of course).

That having been said, overhauling the characters' speech to be
authentically Texan would be a... large endeavor. I'd be comfortable either
with a switch to just plain Juarez or to the full Ciudad Juarez to maintain
the "as written by an Englishman" aesthetic.
On Aug 10, 2015 4:38 PM, "Redacted sender vhfreak@xxxxxxx for DMARC" <
dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've never played Freeway Warrior, but I am friends with a guy from El
Paso, and I've never heard him refer to it as anything other than Juarez.

Take that as you will.

-Rob

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 10, 2015, at 4:30 PM, Jonathan Blake <
jonathan.blake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 at 07:32 Benjamin Krefetz <krefetz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was just going back through 03toz and noticed one thing we may or may
not want to correct:

(??) 81: after what we did at Ciudad -> after what we did at Juarez

In American usage the name of Ciudad Juarez is only ever shortened to
Juarez, never to Ciudad. We could make the case that Cal, being from
California, isn't familiar with the city, but he was just hanging out with
3 soldiers from Fort Bliss and they would definitely have shortened the
name to Juarez.

That is rather odd. Correct my weak Spanish, but doesn't "ciudad" just
mean "city"?

Another possible correction that follows the usage elsewhere in the book
is to change it to "Ciudad Juarez". That's how it's named in every other
case.