Re: thanks for printer info

  • From: "qubit" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 12:07:14 -0500

Ok, here's what I did -- I first went to printers and faxes on my xp
machine, selected the printer I wanted to export and right clicked and
selected "sharing..." and filled out the info.  This created a generic
printer on the network called something like "printer9".  I then went to my
other pc and went to printers and faxes and created a new printer entry, and
there was a place where I could import a printer from the network.  I
selected "printer9" and it installed that printer on the new pc with the
same name as it is on the host pc.
Then it printed a test page and the print job went to the printer like it
was supposed to.
So easy it was hard to find...*smile*
But as I said, it appears the client machine needs a driver for the printer,
which pretty much spoils what I was trying to do.  All my machines are in
the same room after all -- the reason I wanted to network is because my
hosting machine with the embosser on it is xp with 32bit, and the embosser
drivers won't work on 64bit.
So I still have to manually carry around my print jobs.
*sigh*
and I even thought I could have the embosser exported for my mother to send
me braille jobs from her machine.  She'll just have to send me email and
I'll emboss it here.
--le
at least the hp printer is working.