RE: scala (was good site for programming tutorials)

  • From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Jamal Mazrui'" <empower@xxxxxxxxx>, <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:53:30 -0400

I totally agree on the language war avoidance. No worries there, Jamal.

I do have to correct you though. Lisp does not require functional programming.
This is an extremely oversimplification of the
language. Functional programming implies a paradigm which emphasizes the
application of functions over changes in state. It's a pure
extension of the lambda calculus, whereby all functions return a value and this
value does not change except with changes to inputs
into said function; thus avoiding state or mutability of any kind. Such a
restriction does not exist in lisp. There are programming
languages like F# which are more functional programming languages, but even in
those, I believe it is possible to have mappings
which are not one-to-one with input parameters, side effects , and some
semblance of mutability. In functional programming.

Lisp is a multi-paradigm programming language. It supported OOP before it was
called that, and had things like annotations before
Windows was an operating system. It also can be used as a procedural,
functional, object oriented, service oriented, inductive,
deductive, and/or annotation based language, all within the same program, if
you like, and that's just to name a few paradigms.

Take care,
Sina