scala (was good site for programming tutorials)

  • From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 22:45:24 -0400

Have you used this before? I am thinking specifically of
accessibility. If it is still like Java, does that mean that you are
still limited to inaccessible gui packages like Swing? If one could
use a cross-platform package like wx, then it seems like this would be
a great language. I only read the intro, but it looks like it takes
the idea that everything is a passable object (which I am used to in
Python) and combines it with java-like syntax (I have not yet explored
syntax examples). I just wonder if it will prove to be accessible, and
if it is any good for desktop applications (for example, can it be
compiled to a Windows executable?) I realize a lot of this can be
answered with Google, but if anyone has experience with this language,
I would like to hear your thoughts. I love Python and have found a
great many useful packages for it, but I am not so loyal to it that I
would stick with it if something better (Scala??) comes along.