Re: questions about visual basic 2008

  • From: "Haden Pike" <haden.pike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 19:48:02 -0400

Thanks. I'll have a look.

Haden Pike
Email: haden.pike@xxxxxxxxx

From: The Elf
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 6:54 PM
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: questions about visual basic 2008

go to my grab bag site, or to Jamal's site, mine is noted below my name.

there are jaws scripts for 2005 that work in 2008 toward the bottom of the home
page, there are tutorials for the same that will assist in starting, and there
are setup instructions and hot key lists all applyable to your endeavor.

the main thing to talk to the instructor about are:
1. they need to remember to describe any graphical displays to you
2. if they are willing, giving you a copy of there notes, in a text format that
your comp can handle (power point isn't very useful, and I have had a couple
that did indeed use that, and had to convert and append there notes to make
them useable)will be helpful, since that gives you notes on what they see as
important without your having to try to keep up with them using alternative
note taking methods.
3. depending on where you live, recording the class is your best option, though
slow for review, this again gives you notes on what is important to the
instructor (you can also offer to help students that miss a class by allowing
them to hear the class, and 98% of my instructors had no problem with this, and
it can make the other students friendlier toward you, and willing to at least
try to assist you in return if you have a need for such), and at least in the
US, it is allowable to record the class
Whether or not the instructor likes it!

3. if you have a good disabled student center at your school, you will probably
need out of class interpretation of graphical data, so copies of any overhead
or screen projected images should be provided to the DSC folks.

4. it is also (and you should and probably already do know) that your tests
should... depending on the school be either given in the DSC, or at a point
outside the class so someone can read the tests to you without disturbing the
rest of the class, and again, in the united states, you are allowed both that
boon and additional time to take the test since having it read to you takes
longer than reading it yourself would.

5. any handouts that they would pass to the class needs to be given to the DSC
or someone who can assist you with reading it prior to it being handed out in
class, since you will need to take it somewhere and get it turned into adapted
format before you can use it, so handing something out and expecting you to be
able to use the information in a test at the end of class is a huge "not
happening"

that's about all I can think of right now about the additionals of classes in
programming, oops, and the two of you need to make sure any assistive tools you
need are accessible to a screen reader, some use teaching aids that are not
screen reader friendly out of the box and this can really bog things down.

HTH,
inthane
proprietor, The Grab Bag,
for blind computer users and programmers
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com
Owner: Alacorn Computer Enterprises
"own the might and majesty of a Alacorn!"
www.alacorncomputer.com
Owner: Agemtree
"merchants in fine facetted and cabochon gemstones"
www.agemtree.com