Re: [program-l] Re: Seeking c++ programmer to compile Windows binary of free Tesseract OCR

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 22:30:43 -0500

Hi Manish,
Unfortunately, I have not been able to get the latest binary you posted to work, even with the test.tif file included in the distribution. I get a fatal memory-related execution error, both on Windows XP and Vista.

Does tesseract.exe work for you with the test.tif file? Let me know if there is anything else you want me to try. Sorry to hear that the 3.0 preview release is harder to compile. I sure wish Google would put some effort into making this technology more usable after it was purchased a few years ago!

Jamal

On 3/2/2010 11:19 AM, Manish Agrawal wrote:
Hey Jamal,
I uploaded the wrong zip earlier. apologies for that.
Here is the link for an updated zip that contains the test-images folder:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ttt7lh

Let me know if this improves anything.
Also, I am running into issues with the latest tesseract 3.0.0. That
codebase doesn't build with libtiff included. I'll try a little more and let
you know if I can make any progress.

-Manish

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 23:11:21 +0530
From: Manish Agrawal<manish10@xxxxxxxxx>
To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [program-l] Re: Seeking c++ programmer to compile Windows binary
of
     free Tesseract OCR

You can download the zip from:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/k6fsjq

Before running this, make sure that you have libtiff3.dll somewhere on
your
path.
For this, you'll need to download the setup exe from
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/tiff.htm

(use the first setup download without sources)
And then right click Mycomputer|properties|advanced|environment variables
in
the path user variable, append C:\Program Files\GnuWin32\bin or whereever
you installed the setup from the above step.

Instead of trying with pdf2txt as you suggested in another mail, can you
first try:
Tesseract.exe test-images\test.tiff output-filename

In the bin.dbg folder that you extract from the sendspace link at the top.

-Manish
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 22:12:59 +0530
From: Manish Agrawal<manish10@xxxxxxxxx>
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
of
     free Tesseract OCR

Jamal, I have version 2.0.3 working with libtiff included. The bin.dbg
file
after zipping comes to about 22 MB. Is there somewhere I can upload it
for
you before I try this with version 3.0?
I tested this with just some tiff file I had lying around. What can I do
verify that this has the compression you need?

-Manish

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:36:48 +0530
From: Manish Agrawal<manish10@xxxxxxxxx>
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [program-l] Seeking c++ programmer to compile Windows
binary
of
     free Tesseract OCR

I can give it a try. I worked with c++ some years ago and am not sure if
I'll be able to deliver the goods.
There appear to be two different versions, 2.0.4 (which appears to be
the
stable version) and 3.0.0 (current/prerelease). Which one do you want
built
with the libtif included?

-Manish
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:52:55 -0500
From: Jamal Mazrui<empower@xxxxxxxxx>
To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think Google Tesseract is generally considered to be the best, free
OCR engine at this time.  It is available in cross-platform C++ source
code.  A Windows binary is available, but as far as I can tell, it does
not incorporate a free TIF library that would support more common .tif
formats than the default, uncompressed, minimalist TIF format that the
available binary is limited to.

However, a Microsoft Visual c++ 2008 project file is also available for
compiling Tesseract to Windows binary form, and supposedly, the TIF
library can be incorporated in such a solution.  I do not know C++, so
am hoping that another programmer can build this for us.

A starting page for Tesseract is the following:

ReadMe - tesseract-ocr - Important information all Tesseract users need
to know. - Project Hosting on Google Code

http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/wiki/ReadMe

** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type
** unsubscribe