Re: XAMPP, WAMP under Windows Accessibility and Features

  • From: "Marlon Brandão de Sousa" <splyt.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:12:49 -0300

Hello Richard,
First of all you are asking some questions interesting, but in a level
where it isn't clear if you understand how server side and client side
languages and processes interact and how php and apache work. If you
could write back telling your experienses and what you are or are not
familiar with then I can give you a better feedback.
Your questions about php not being backwards compatible and such is
important, as neither php nor mysql nor apache are totally backwards
compatible, and deppending on what you're doing you could have
problems coding for a platform and delivering to another.
When you're developing a costumer stuff you have to ask him where the
site will be hosted and accessed for. If they don't have hte knowledge
to tell this or if this decision is up to you as the webmaster then
you will have to decide in what isp you will host it, and you have to
replicate the more possible the same enviroment the host will support.
I don't know exactly if apache will run on windows xp home edition,
but I think this is possible. But if you're running it on a server
edition then perhaps apache will conflict with iis, which will
probably be listening to incoming connections on port 80, the same of
apache.
Anyways, it's enough information for now, The questions will be better
replayed when you replay my questions.
I suggest you go take a close look at php, perl, server side
programming and understand well what is going on before trying to
develope stuff for clients. Web programming is pretty different from
desktop programming, what is going on in both cases is different and a
web programmer needs to take in acount security aspects and such
things which can interfer with their work at all.
hth
Marlon

2008/2/11, Richard Thomas <rthomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Guys: