RE: Windows Eyes : Good For Programmers?

  • From: "Homme, James" <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 07:24:09 -0500

Hi Kerneels,
A Window-eyes customer can correct me on this. According to my knowledge,
Window-eyes does not support Java GUI applications built with Java Swing API
from the factory. If you would be talking about Java programs that work in the
web world, or Java desktop applications that use the Standard Widget Toolkit
(SWT) you would be OK. SWT uses native controls. As far as actually programming
goes, you could use EdSharp successfully. You could use Eclipse successfully.
In my opinion, for what that's worth, you should use a plain text editor until
you start getting into bigger projects, then break out something like Eclipse.
I haven't tried NetBeans with SodBeans, so I can't tell you what that's like.

Thanks.

Jim

Jim Homme,
Usability Services,
Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme
Internal recipients,  Read my accessibility blog. Discuss accessibility here.