Re: Windows 8 Blog

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 16:29:46 -0400

iOS. Then Android. And waaaay back there somewhere is Windows Phone, rubbing shoulders with the lame duck Web OS. So no, I don't think an IT career is contingent on familiarity with Microsoft products, although it, like any skillset, can't hurt.

On 9/1/2011 4:21 PM, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
>and get left in the dust as the real/business world uses microsoft.
Yeah. -everyone- uses Microsoft, Linux/OSX has no place in the business world at all. I think it worth mentioning that the whitehouse uses open source software, generally ran on Linux. I'm aware our government is rather self deluded, but working for the government is part of the real world. Google uses Python for a lot of stuff, and many many big corporations still use the LAMP stack for one reason or another.

Anyway, on to another point. I really don't see us not having access to Windows 8. Everyone was scared out of their minds when Seven came out, and granted it did take a while, but we eventually got screenreader support for it. WE've never exactly been on-the-ball in terms of being able to play with the newest and greatest technologies right away, but I am kind of confused where everyone gets off on freaking out about not having access to the next upcoming operating system. We did it for XP, we did it for Vista, Seven and now Eight. Just give it time, jaws 21.5321284 will come out, requiring you to buy an SMA to upgrade, and you'll sort of have support. Two SMAs later and on to jaws 25.3212311, we'll pretty much have full access.

On 9/1/2011 2:14 PM, Bryan Schulz wrote:
and get left in the dust as the real/business world uses microsoft.

Bryan Schulz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rodney Haynie" <rhaynie@xxxxxxxxxxx>