Re: Updated EdSharp and FileDir for better 64-bit Windows compatibility

  • From: Don Marang <donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 10:43:47 -0400

Thanks once again! Just downloaded and installed. I will let you know if it introduces any new problems on a Windows 7 64 bit system. I did notice that FileDir and Ed Sharp installed in the "Program Files (x86)" directory. I am not saying that is a problem. It still works properly. I just wanted to let you know it is still installed as a 32 it application, in case you thought it was now a 64 bit application.

*Don Marang*
Vinux Software Development Coordinator - <> There is just so much stuff in the world that, to me, is devoid of any real substance, value, and content that I just try to make sure that I am working on things that matter.
-- Dean Kamen

On 5/12/2011 9:54 AM, Jamal Mazrui wrote:
This is to let users of EdSharp and FileDir know that I have made fixes in the last few months that improve compatibility with screen readers on 64-bit Windows. I do not have Win64 to test with myself yet, but think I have found ways of making the various screen reader API calls work in a more robust manner. So, if you have experienced a problem with JAWS, NVDA, or Window-Eyes on 64-bit Windows, you may wish to make sure you have the latest EdSharp

or FileDir

You can aalso update within an existing installation via the Elevate command, F11.

With FileDir, I also fixed a problem with conversion of Word 2007 .docx files. This means that the Question mark command, Shift+/, will read the contents of that file type, among others, when such a file is focused in a directory list. I also fixed the Detect Encoding command, Shift+2 (the @ symbol), which lets you know the encoding of a text file, e.g., ASCII, UTF-8, etc.

Anyone wishing to learn more about EdSharp, a text and code editor, or FileDir, a file and directory manager, can do so by browsing the documentation at