Sodbeans/Sappy Update

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sodbeans <sodbeans-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:29:25 -0600

Hello again,

Here is your regularly scheduled update on the Sappy/Sodbeans projects:

Sappy: Making NetBeans generally more accessible

1. We have made significant progress and are still on schedule for an alpha
release by March or so.
2. JAWS compatibility is about 80% complete.
3. We "may" have voice over compatibility finished before alpha, although
we're still not sure.
4. Almost all NetBeans windows now give auditory output in one form or
another. It's still not perfect, but it's a massive improvement, especially
on OS X.
5. We think that is might be beneficial to add in a new NetBeans feature
that is similar to Voice Over's Voice Over Keys into NetBeans proper, in a
cross platform, screen reader neutral way. Any suggestions here? Good
idea/bad idea/why?

Sodbeans: A custom compiler architecture designed explicitly to give better
feedback to the blind.

1. Because of our grant, and the additional support it will provide (soon,
we think), we can now officially announce a summer alpha release. We don't
have an exact date yet.
2. We're finishing up the arrays implementation in the compiler, hopefully,
this week.
3. Functions/Objects and sounds for those pieces in the compiler/debugger
are coming along, and "sort of work," but are still in progress. These are
tricky because of the omniscient debugger design in Sodbeans (audio debugger
that goes backwards ad forwards).
4. We are beginning a collaboration with a group of psychologists soon to
help with the design of parts of the programming language we built for
Sodbeans. This could potentially be really helpful to our team.
5. While there's a lot of work left to do, Sodbeans is getting far enough
along that we're hoping to start some basic user testing within a few weeks.

and finally,

6. Starting this fall, the Washington State School for the Blind will be
teaching a computer programming class for K-12 students using Sodbeans in
our custom programming language Hop. I can't tell you how excited we are
about this!

Ok, so that's all for now. As always, if anyone on the list wants to
contribute in some way, feel free to get in touch. Probably the best way the
community could contribute right now is in terms of screen reader
compatibility. If you are an expert in ORCA/Window EYES, or some other
screen reader and want to donate some code to help NetBeans become
compatibility with that environment, please feel free to let us know.

Andreas Stefik, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville