Screen Reader Compatibility

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sodbeans <sodbeans-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 08:59:34 -0600

Hi folks,

We're working hard out here on screen reader compatibility on the
Sappy/Sodbeans projects in NetBeans. We're trying to decide which screen
readers we should make our code compatible with. We realistically can't do
all of them in the short term and we are starting with Jaws/ OSX Voice Over.
Once those are complete, any suggestions on what screen readers the
community would prefer come next? Any preferences?

We were thinking maybe a unix flavor screen reader, perhaps Orca, but are
open to suggestions. What does the community think?

Andreas Stefik, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville