Re: Sodbeans update

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:37:44 -0500

Yes, that's correct, the technology is there and the compiler has been
created, but it will still be some time before it is ready for every day
use. As for language, right now it is only for a custom programming language
(called HOP). What we've been doing is running formal scientific experiments
both on the sounds that come out and the language itself, optimizing it to
to minimize the effort for programming, including the blind. Our latest
study had pretty amazing results, which I am, personally, extremely excited
about. We're almost ready to submit that one for publication.

Now, with that said, we have some contacts at sun microsystems, and what we
are hoping will happen is that, once our proof of concept is in place, the
folks at a number of manufacturers will be able to see what a completely
accessible IDE really looks like and modify their environments to
accommodate a number of languages, including Java. We're only a few person
development team, though, so we can't do it for every environment and
language ourselves. We've also been applying for grants, and if those go
through it would increase the size of our development team, allowing us to
distribute sodbeans to several schools for the blind next summer. I think
that, realistically, we can probably do a release before the summer, but
still, that's technically our deadline.

Stefik