Re: Separating .net from Visual Studio

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:18:22 -0400 (EDT)

As you might guess, I develop EdSharp and FileDir in C# 2.0 using EdSharp.
The .NET 2.0 SDK has a strong set of command-line utilities with
consistent syntax.  Although I have done my best to make the Visual Studio
scripts provide access to the IDE, and so have others, I ultimately found
that I was more productive hand coding forms with a powerful, speech
friendly text editor.  Yes, one gives up code completion, so I often
search MSDN or structured text files I have done of .NET documentation.
I do not like the way an IDE guesses what I want to do, however,
generating code automatically for me, some of which I do not understand or
do not find consistent with my own coding style.  I have found that the
layout container controls work in a more simple and elegant manner than
building forms through the Windows forms designer.

As an example of EdSharp's support for C#, try creating the file
hello.cs with the code below.  Then press Control+Shift+F5 and pick the
C# compiler.  Press Control+F5 to compile.  EdSharp will say "Done!" if
there was no compiling error, thus resulting in the executable hello.exe
in the same folder as hello.cs.  If an error is found, on the other
hand, EdSharp will say it and place the cursor at that point in the
source code.

Let me be clear that this is a personal choice that works well for me.
Others like the code completion and other benefits of the IDE a lot, and
are not bothered by the code generation or other aspects that I find
annoying.  Also, if one is working on a team, the IDE provides ways of
structuring projects that aid collaboration.

Hope this helps,
Jamal

using System.Windows.Forms;

class Program {