Re: SQL Server

  • From: "Richard Thomas" <rthomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 05:01:56 -0500

Hi Dorene:
First, what version of Sql Server are you going to be working with?
The free download is called Sql Server Express and runs on your Desk-Top, I'm
not sure about it running on a Lap-Top.
Then there is the Commercial version of Sql Server, actually I think several
versions with various features.
The basic programming language used to work with Sql Server is called
Transactional SQL which stands for Structured Query Language. It is referred to
in most documents as T-Sql for short.

There are two fundemental types of commands.  DDL which stands for Data
Description Language and Sql which stands for Structured Query Language.
DDL:
With it you use commands like:
Create DataBase; Create Table and Create Index
Drop DataBase, Drop Table andDrop Index.
Also for a table you will create  columns that hold your data
 For example
"StockTickerSymbol VarChar( 10 )"
"StockPrice Decimal( 15,2 )
There you have two fields, columns which would be defined in a table created
with the Create Table command perhaps called StocksTable like
Create Table StocksTable.
Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.
What will you be doing with Sql Server?  Will you be creating DataBases or will
you kjust be using them, reading and writing data, from inside programs you
write in some language like VisualBasic or CSharp.
Finally, as I mentioned how will you work with the DataBase, at home from your
own computer or from the School's computer?
Rick Farmington Mich. USA