Re: Python programming problem

  • From: Gilbert Neiva <gneiva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 21:49:07 -0600

Hi, Ken. I ran the program code you had put in your email.It wasn't the affect
I wanted. I was making a program which produced the sequence 2, 4, 7, 10, 14,
18, 23, 28, 34, 40 and so on. In other words, you notice for the first two
digits 2, and 4 it skips by two. For the second set of numbers 7, and 10 it
skips by three. For 14, and 18 it skips by four, and so on. I had succeeded in
making such a program. I had mistakenly put two equal signs in the statements
after the "if count == new_count" statement. I got rid of the extra equal signs
and now the program works perfectly.

Gilbert Neiva

  #2 4 7 10 14 18 23 28 and so on.

  #value is the value you want to print starts at 0;
  value=0

  #index Is the addition index starts at 2
  index=2

  #old index is the previous index starts at 1
  old_index=1

  while index < 30:
  #The above line while index < 30
  #tells the program to loop until the variable
  #index reaches 30

  #the if statement checks to see if we have already added this index
  #if we have added this current index value we add it again and increment the
  # if we have not we add the index to the value and increment the old_index
   if old_index == index:
    value+=index
    index+=1
   else:
     value+=index
     old_index+=1

  #The following line will display the value
  #As the program loops, the output will not go line by line
   print value,

      #2 4 7 10 14 18 23 28 and so on.

      #The following lines will create three variables a, b, and c with
      #values of 2, 0, and 0
      a = 2
      b = 0
      c = 0
      #The following line will create a variable count
      #with  a value of 0
      count = 0
      #The following line will create a variable new_count
      #with a value of 2
      new_count = 2
      #The following line will create a variable max_count
      #with a value of 30
      max_count = 30
      while count < max_count:
      #The above line while count < max_count:
      #tells the program to loop until the variable
      #count reaches 30
      #The following line will create a variable d
      #witch will equal the formula a+b+c
       d = a+b+c
      #The following line will make b equal to d
      #as the program runs, the values within these two variables will change
       b = d
      #The following line will increase the variable count by 1
      #each time the program loops
       count = count+1
      #The following if statement will tell the program to increase
      #the new_count variable by 2 and the c variable by 1
      #if the count variable is equivalent to the new_count variable
       if count == new_count:
        new_count == new_count+2
        c == c+1
      #The following line will display the value of d
      #As the program loops, the output will not go line by line
       print d,

      What am I doing wrong?

      Gilbert Neiva