Re: Python programming problem

  • From: "rrdinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:52:47 -0700

Hi Gilbert,

I'm not certain exactly what sequence you are trying to produce, but I think
the statements you have in your if block are probably wrong.

You have:
 if count == new_count:
  new_count == new_count+2
  c == c+1

Those two statements are comparisons and result in either True or False, you
probably want:

 if count == new_count:
  new_count = new_count+2
  c = c+1

A handy short hand for such statements is:
 if count == new_count:
  new_count += 2
  c += 1

HTH

Richard
  #2 4 7 10 14 18 23 28 and so on.

  #The following lines will create three variables a, b, and c with
  #values of 2, 0, and 0
  a = 2
  b = 0
  c = 0
  #The following line will create a variable count
  #with  a value of 0
  count = 0
  #The following line will create a variable new_count
  #with a value of 2
  new_count = 2
  #The following line will create a variable max_count
  #with a value of 30
  max_count = 30
  while count < max_count:
  #The above line while count < max_count:
  #tells the program to loop until the variable
  #count reaches 30
  #The following line will create a variable d
  #witch will equal the formula a+b+c
   d = a+b+c
  #The following line will make b equal to d
  #as the program runs, the values within these two variables will change
   b = d
  #The following line will increase the variable count by 1
  #each time the program loops
   count = count+1
  #The following if statement will tell the program to increase
  #the new_count variable by 2 and the c variable by 1
  #if the count variable is equivalent to the new_count variable
   if count == new_count:
    new_count == new_count+2
    c == c+1
  #The following line will display the value of d
  #As the program loops, the output will not go line by line
   print d,

  What am I doing wrong?

  Gilbert Neiva