Re: PeopleSoft programming with a screen reader

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 14:14:13 -0600

Hi, Beverly,

I'm a little disturbed that you were told that programming was
becoming far too point and click driven for a blind person to do
implying that this is a field that is closing to us.  While designing
visually appealing gui's using a rad tool is indeed problematic for a
blind person, many on this list can and do write many worthwhile and
well-written programs using text editors like EdSharp (itself written
by a blind programmer), Jarte, Emacs, Vim and other such tools.  There
are also those who use integrated development environments like
Microsoft Visual Studio, Eclipse, netbeans and others.  They are not
restricted to any given language either as there are some who can
program in Python, c++, Java, c#, Perl, Javascript and Visual Basic to
name but a few.  There are blind programmers working at places like
the Free Software Foundation, Google, and the Fcc.  They also don't
just restrict themselves to Windows but can be found developing
software for Mac, Linux, and Unix along with other less well-known
operating systems.  I guess what I am trying to tell you is that you
can still program even though you are not sighted and it doesn't have
to be pointy clickedy either.  You may need to concentrate on under
the hood type stuff and have someone else gusy up  the user interface
for you, what I've heard refered to as a themer or UI designer, but
you can still be productive.

As for People Soft, I personally don't know much about it from a
programming perspective.  I was going to use it in customer service as
an end user at a job I had a few years ago but, we wound up going with
another solution.  Back then, I heard that accessibility with it was
spotty in places unless you were able to get someone to do some
scripting for you in Jaws.  I was using Jaws 5.0 at the time so,
things may have changed by now, you never know.  On another note, if
you can't work with PeopleSoft, perhaps the web development and Java
programming might also be worth looking into.  Your lack of vision
need not keep you from this either as there are blind web developers
out there and quite  a few Java programmers as well.  One of the best
IDE's for developing solutions in Java is Eclipse and it is known for
its excellent accessibility.  Even better, Eclipse can be used to
write code in several languages and is accessible across two platforms
that I know of and possible 3.  I've used it in Windows a bit and in
Linux as well.  I'll let others far more experienced at programming
than I tell you about its ups and downs (I'm a beginner, yself, you
see), but there's stuff out there which you can use with the assistive
tech you have.

If worse comes to worse and you find you can't code for a living at
your current employer, there's always a big need in the open source
and free software community oin Linux as well as in windows for people
to make a lot of what is out there better.  So, if you want to code
again because it's what you like to do, there are many options open to
you.

Best regards,
Alex M