ORCA / Linux Compatibility

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kimberly Ann Slattery <kislatt@xxxxxxxx>, Sina Bahram <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:29:12 -0500

Hey folks,

I have a student that is going to be working soon on getting ORCA and
general linux speech compatibility into our Sodbeans tool, a self
voicing utility, audio debugger, and programming language in NetBeans.
I don't have very much experience doing text-to-speech on Linux, so
I'm hoping to probe the community and see what folks know about this
already.

A few questions:

1. Should we be targeting ORCA compatibility or something else?
2. Any particular distros that we really should support (e.g., ubuntu, vinux)?
3. Any good tutorials or existing code we can plug into to get started?

Stefik