Re: JavaScript, Detecting KeyUp or KeyDown KeyCode

  • From: "RicksPlace" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:36:46 -0400

Hi: ARIA is out for now. I don't know anything about it and just want to get
this bloody thing working properly with basic methods everyone understands at
first.
It will do a popup if you exceed the max. You can left mouse click the TextBox
and hear how many characters you have typed and the Max number allowed. Putting
a label under the textbox with a real-time value would just mean dropping a
label on the form and either loading the value in the same script where I check
for the text Overflow.
I am not going to do that because it is useless to a screen reader user until
they tab out of the box and would only be really effective for sighted folks.
The idea of the noisy region holds promise but I don't think as a container for
a running real-time value that changes while you type every letter. You might
hear a 0 b 1 x 3 ... l 1942 m 1943 etc... if the value of the label changed for
each letter entered and the region were read because of the updated count.
Anyway, displaying a running count in a label is pretty easy and the alert
popup and the hot key popup are about ready to implement.
Rick USA