From: programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of RicksPlace
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:22 PM
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: JavaScript, Detecting KeyUp or KeyDown KeyCode

Hi Jim, good idea. I will use it. I was using the onkeyup but the onchange will
be more accurate and not trigger execution of the JS for non input keys. A
second JS will pop up a message if the TextBox is clicked with the mouse
telling the character count and the max allowed or the remaining character
count before exceeding the max or something. A label will display the
information to sighted folks in real time while a screen reader user will have
to click the TextBox to get the numbers but that is not much of a hassle.
Finally, I will pop up a message to a screen reader user automatically if they
exceed the max.
I like your idea though, it will eliminate a problem I was having when the
textbox was full. The message would pop up but trying to hit delete would
trigger the onkeyUp or down and not allow the user to remove excess characters.
Your idea should take care of that one.
I'll give that puppy a try!
Thanks again:
Rick USA