JAWS Scripting Overview

  • From: "RicksPlace" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 15:22:06 -0400

Hi: I am wondering about how JAWS scripting works.
For WindowEyes they use standard Windows Properties, methods and events along
with MSAA Accessibility features.
They also have some tools to analyze a Third Party Software's DOM in real time.
There are numerous xml based UI Controls that are used with the WindowEyes
Scripts and it uses standard VBScript, or other language, to access any of the
system resources and some Framework Features.
How does JAWS handle
Analysis of Third Party Software:
Accessing, modifying and, or, replacing UI elements on Windows Forms or
Webpages:
Creating code to access windows system methods and classes or Framework classes.
The new technicals WPF and HTML5 and UIA are getting pretty complex and so
scripting will likely require more power to be able to keep up.
I'm not sure WindowEyes will be able to keep up since they are already behind
at least 2 other screen readers when it comes to accessing new technicals and
I'm not sure they are going to be able to keep up.
So what can I expect to find trying to script JAWS for say Visual Studio 2010
and WPF, HTML5 and CSS3 or is it CSS4 now?
So far WindowEyes is not even in the game except for some converted MSAA legacy
support of some UIA elements.
Rick USA