Re: Installing cygwin, or, way to program recursive directory traversel?

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:40:53 +0200

Have a look at the Python modules:
os
sys
sys.path

There are routines for recursively traversing directory structures. Could
probably also do it with batch files, but I'd recommend going the Python
route on Windows.

I had some code which did exactly that, but can't find it now... Usual
story, when you need it you can't find it!

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Arthur Pirika <arfy32@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, here's my problem that I'd like to solve.
>
> I have a directory, full of zipped, mod files. The problem is, that they're
> in a directory tree like this.
> 1994, 1994/a, 1994/b, 1994/c, etc. I want to be able to have a directory
> walk through the zip files, unzipping and overwriting existing files as I go
> along. My firsst thought was to use the unix find command, something like.
> find . -name "*.zip" -execdir unzip -o {} -delete. This would, in theory,
> unzip each file found at it's current location, then delete the zip file on
> success. Thus, i decide, let's install cygwin. however, I get stuck as soon
> as i go to select packages, in that, I can't see any way of scrolling the
> list of packages. Nothing. not even trying different screen readers helped,
> and, I haven't got a mouse with a wheel handy, else I could have scrolled
> just fine. So, any work arounds, or, alternatively, hints as to how to
> program this traversal in any of python, perl, even autoit?
>
> ps. I do have a linux vm, and have a share with the directory mounted, but
> I'm a bit weary of using a (virtual) linux system to modify files on the
> real system. would this work?
>
> thanks,
> Arthur.

Kerneels Roos
Cell/SMS: +27 (0)82 309 1998
Skype: cornelis.roos

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!