Installing cygwin, or, way to program recursive directory traversel?

  • From: "Arthur Pirika" <arfy32@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 18:50:41 +1200

Hi, here's my problem that I'd like to solve.

I have a directory, full of zipped, mod files. The problem is, that they're in a directory tree like this. 1994, 1994/a, 1994/b, 1994/c, etc. I want to be able to have a directory walk through the zip files, unzipping and overwriting existing files as I go along. My firsst thought was to use the unix find command, something like. find . -name "*.zip" -execdir unzip -o {} -delete. This would, in theory, unzip each file found at it's current location, then delete the zip file on success. Thus, i decide, let's install cygwin. however, I get stuck as soon as i go to select packages, in that, I can't see any way of scrolling the list of packages. Nothing. not even trying different screen readers helped, and, I haven't got a mouse with a wheel handy, else I could have scrolled just fine. So, any work arounds, or, alternatively, hints as to how to program this traversal in any of python, perl, even autoit?

ps. I do have a linux vm, and have a share with the directory mounted, but I'm a bit weary of using a (virtual) linux system to modify files on the real system. would this work?

thanks,
Arthur.