Re: How can a blind person use a smart card?

  • From: Dorene Cornwell <dorenefc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:01:25 -0700

Hi Eric

My experience with such things was a long time ago and I assume there
could be new wrinkles. For work connected with one job I had this
dongle thingie that generated a random number I had to enter each time
I logged in. I do not remember the random number sticking around very
long and I have no idea how one would have scanned anything workable.
I also had to enter a personal password that had to be changed every
90 days or sooner TOO.

HOWEVER, I think it is up to the Smart Card maker to hae designed some
kind of accessible workaround. While your employer may have no
background on the topic, between you, your employer, and the maker of
the card / designers of the process, you should be able to come up
with some kind of workaround.

Okay, it's possible the workaround they have designed is that you hand
the thing to a sighted person, they read the code and you type it in
while keeping your password confidential, but I HOPE the process is
better thought through than that.

Best

Dorene Cornwell
Seattle WA