Re: Help Web Designing While Blind

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 08:25:48 +0200

It sounds like this is a standard printed layout graphic designer who doesn't know much about the principles of web design - as in, you can't force any web browser to keep the proportions exactly as you want them since it would be quite happy to do something like show one word per line if the browser window was not maximised, and had been made narrow, etc.

While you can specify pixel/percentage widths for both images and tables, divs, etc., and while those of the images may be sort of enforced, in that they might run off the visual area of the browser window, or images trying to automatically resize for percentage widths - not at the best display quality, the browsers will sort of automatically try to make all the text fit in visually etc., so there are limits to what you can really do in terms of layout control in this sense, and while I suppose lots of guys nowadays do run higher resolutions, I would still actually target something like 1024x768 FWIW.

Anyway, what comes down to is that both/either this graphic designer and your client need to understand webpage layout principles a bit as such - get them to go to something like google, or one of the major news sites, and then resize their browser windows to very narrow...<smile>

This is an old issue have had with some graphic/print designers in past when was still sighted as well, and if they couldn't provide style sheeting, I at least made them give me the exact colour numbers - as in RGB values for each colour they wanted to be used, as well as things like font names - you also need to generally stick to those that all people browsing are likely to have, or else their machines will just default to something like times new roman, etc. etc.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA