  • From: "Haden Pike" <haden.pike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 14:55:06 -0400

Here is what I have of the FAQ. It includes all of the suggestions made here as
well as a few of my own. I will paste it below. The HTML code is here to so it
might be best to copy it into a document and read it. This is also why I
included the code so you can get a feel as to how it is layed out. Please give
me your feedback on whatever you feel I need to change.

FAQ Code

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>

<head>
<title>Blind Programming List FAQ</title>
</head>

<h1>Blind programming FAQ</h1>
about the blind programming list.</p>
<h2>Table of Contents:</h2>
<ol>
<li><a href="#3">How much can these be stretched (can you ask how to use an
IDE, for example)?</a></li>
<li><a href="#4">What happens if you post an off-topic message? Is this okay if
you mark the message with an indicator, such as "OT"?</a></li>
<li><a href="#9">What other resources (lists, repositories, etc) are
available?</a></li>
</ol>

<a name="1"></a>
<h3>So how do I get started?</h3>
href="mailto:programmingblind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";
subject="subscribe">programmingblind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</a> with the word
"subscribe" in the subject line.
To post to the list, send email to <a
href="mailto:programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx</a>
To unsubscribe from the list, send a blank email to <a
href="mailto:programmingblind-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";
word unsubscribe in the subject line.</p>

<a name="2"></a>
<h3>What subjects are acceptable on this list?</h3>
about accessibility related to IDEs (integrated development environments), or
how to use a specific IDE to accomplish a task (how can I use Visual Studio
2008 to compile a c++ application for Windows CE? Subjects such as: help with
java, which version of python do most people prefer, etc, are allowed. Subjects
such as: where can I find a program that is not a development tool,
advertisements for lists that have nothing to do with programming, etc are not
acceptable.</p>

<a name="3"></a>
<h3>How much can these be stretched (can you ask how to use an IDE, for
example)?</h3>

<a name="4"></a>
<h3>What happens if you post an off-topic message. Is it okay if you mark the
message with an indicator, such as "OT"?</h3>
understand that you may have a question that is sort of related to programming,
and you think this is the best place to ask it, but please consider
alternatives. If you continually post off-topic messages, you may be put on
moderated status (each of your posts is checked before being sent to the list.
The moderator of the list (Jeff Bishop) will also contact you and ask you to
stop posting off-topic messages. Should you refuse, you will be removed from
the list. You can also expect to get some messages from the list, which are not
always friendly.</p>

<a name="5"></a>
<h3>What is the cross-posting policy?</h3>
the message will be sent to all of the addresses the original message was sent,
not just back to this list.</p>

<a name="6"></a>
<h3>If I reply to sender, what happens?</h3>
to all.</p>

<a name="7"></a>
<h3>What is the list traffic?</h3>

<a name="#8"></a>
<h3>What is the policy about advertising on the list?</h3>
off-topic, it is spam. An exception might be a very brief ad in the signature
of an email.</p>

<a name="9"></a>
<h3>What other lists, repositories, etc are available?</h3>
Mailing lists:
<ul>
<li>program-l: <a
href="mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</a></li>
</ul>
Other sites:
<ul>
<li>Inthane's grabbag: <a
href="http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com";>http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com</a></li>
<li>Jamal Mazrui's nonvisual development site: <a
href="http://www.nonvisualdevelopment.org";>http://www.nonvisualdevelopment.org</a></li>
<li>blindprogramming.net: <a
href="http://www.blindprogramming.net";>http://www.blindprogramming.net</a></li>
</ul>