Emailing: Win32Asm, MASM, Windows Internals

  • From: "Dale Leavens" <dleavens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 00:04:08 -0400

Win32Asm, MASM, Windows InternalsIs this the sort of thing you might find
helpful Tyler?

Dale leavens.

Home of the Win32Asm webring
  a.. Intel x86 32bit Code and Instruction Set@
  b.. Win32API@
  c.. Win32AsmCGI@
  d.. Win32Asm Web@
  e.. MASM
Also: MetaL@ a start on a wierd little cross-processor bnf translation
language.

Getting started? Follow these steps
  1.. Go to Hutch's site http://www.movsd.com/ and get MASM32 (MASM specific)
and the Iczelion tutorials for MASM32
    This is the NEXT STEP in rapid assembler code development, Version 4 has
its own code generator to create basic front ends in less than a minute, it has
it own extendable library with full source code for efficient modular code
design, it includes windows.INC version 1.12 that Iczelion has just upgraded
and MASM32.HLP has a new section for pentium optimisation from an anonymous
author on the net as well as the reference for the procedures contained in
MASM32.LIB.
    This version has its own LIB.EXE, DUMPBIN.EXE and EDITBIN.EXE with source
code so that the full capacity of LINK.EXE can be realised. Clive Turvey has
given permission to include his latest version of DUMPPE.EXE with MASM32v4
which is set up to disassemble your EXE file directly from the editor. All you
need to do is unzip DUMPPE.ZIP in the BIN directory.

  2.. Get the WinDbg debugger.
    Read the help file, play around, setup a workspace do all the tutorials
from MASM32.

  3.. Read all the back issues of ASM Journal and its message forum leaving the
non-32 bit and *nux stuff behind.

  4.. If you still have questions, go to http://win32asm.cjb.net (or
http://203.157.250.93/win32asm/ or http://www.hutch.ukshells.co.uk/iczelion/)
Iczelion's Win32 assembly HomePage The Official HomePage of #win32asm:
Tutorials, basics, VxD, direct draw, winsock, links to everywhere. Then post a
message on The message forum for Win32Asm programming or to the eGroups forum
at http://www.egroups.com/group/win32asm/
  a.. http://www.intelligentfirm.com/asm32.htm and
http://www.intelligentfirm.com/cpl32.html
  b.. Lord Lucifer (aka Bill) was at:
http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/corel/378/win32asm/ and is now at
http://thunder.prohosting.com/~asm1/ which can be reached by
http://billwin32asm.massmind.org or http://asm.tsx.org
    a.. Calling COM from MASM also in AsmJournal #4
    b.. Implementing COM objects in MASM(MASM specific)
    c.. objbase.inc: prototypes for the COM library functions, as well as some
interface declarations
    d.. shlobj.inc: prototypes for the various shell functions, as well as for
the shell namespace com interfaces.
    e.. guidgen: output GUID's in assembly language format
  c.. Microsoft Win32 API online documentation or the Borland Win32 API
reference to download more detailed descriptions.
  d.. AWIN Nice replacement for Make: Will scan your assembler source file, use
specially-coded comment lines to create .RC and .DEF files, and call the
assembler, linker, and RC program to produce an executable program file from a
single program-specific source file. (With A86 source)
  e.. WALK32 This programming toolkit is designed for the experienced ASM
programmer who not only wants to casually write some assembly code, but instead
aims at building large projects in all assembly language.
  f.. Clive's windows Source http://www.tbcnet.com/~clive/vcomwinp.html windows
Source version 3 works with V Communications' Sourcer, version 6.51 and later,
to produce commented disassemblies of windows 16 & 32 bit executables, dynamic
link libraries (DLLs), device drivers, and 32-bit virtual device drivers
(VxDs).
  g.. http://www.iseran.com/Win32/FAQ/faq.htm
  h.. http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone5/index.htm Code, tools, librarys,
etc...
Tricks:

  a.. in a batch file, you can do ;@<command> and MASM will ignore the line but
the command line (don't say DOS) interpreter will excecute the command. One
file can be the source code and make batch file. First line is ;@GOTO :MAKE if
you want the make batch at the end.

See also:

  a.. http://www.thetutorialspot.com This is a great tutorial board I came
across while looking for some help and they were very helpful.+
  b.. asmsource.8k.com Lots of assembly language examples here.+
  c.. http://www.ronybc.8k.com Win32 codes in MASM by ronybc - SparcZ: Winsock
example opens CDROM door via Telnet, Fireworks with MMX bluring effect.. etc +
  d.. Randall Hyde's assembly Page - not win32asm specific but just so damn
good it sould be linked everywhere! Includes:
    a.. The Art of assembly language programming
    b.. assembly Lanugage Programmer's Style Guide - (MASM specific)
    c.. UCR Standard Library for 80x86 assembly language Programmers
  e..
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/devprods/vs6/visualc/vccore/_core_win32_topics.htm

  f.. http://www.godevtool.com/ Good beginning overviews, links, and tools.
  g.. Under the Hood What the compilers actually generate
  h.. Greythorne http://home.sol.no/~reopsahl/files/assem.htm by Greythorne the
Technomancer (very slow server) SoftICE'95 Handy windows Breakpoints
(WIN32API.TXT
  i.. Whiz Kid: Win95 assembly by G. Adam Stanislav of Whiz Kid Technomagic.
MASM examples of CRC32, poligon analysis, timers, mouse, bitmaps, clipboard,
Graphic Counter language, CGI, directly calling win external functions (vice
invoke)
  j.. Chris Dragon http://zp.ite.pwr.wroc.pl/cdragan/ assembly Journal Mirror ,
3D, Fractal, Filesystem, uP ID/Benchmarks, XP Player, Descriptor Table Viewer,
SDK and DirectX Includes.
  k.. Ron Thomas http://www.rbthomas.freeserve.co.uk/ Ron Thomas GIF viewer,
tons of little graphics demos, self publishes a book "Graphics programming
using assembly" for $17.50 USD
  l.. Corn Soup http://cornsoup.cjb.net/
  m.. Mamon http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/lycos/403/ excellent
tools/links page and a newer one?
http://www.eccentrica.org/Mammon/assembly.html PE file format tutorials, links,
reverse engineering
  n.. http://members.xoom.com/DaGuzzet/index.htm
  o.. http://members.tripod.com/~ladsoft/winasm.htm TASM specific mostly win16,
one win32 on Profiles, MDI, scrolling and menus.
  p.. Dolphinz http://personal5.iddeo.es/ret007ow/ TASM font tricks, resouce
meter, PE checksum
  q.. Henry Takeuchi http://www.eskimo.com/~htak/win95asm/win95asm.htm TASM
buttons, menus, dialogs,
  r.. rudeboy http://shell.puter.net/~rudeboy/ a few demos, tab controls,
checksum
  s.. http://ghettographics.org/mpr/hacks/mgrep.c.txt JIT-compile ed-like
regular expressions to i386 code.
  t.. Steve Gibson http://www.grc.com/smgassembly.htm Author of SpinRite?
Hello! Demo programs
  u..
http://willow.canberra.edu.au/~tp963323/mirrors/win32asm.cjb.net/winsock.html
Win32Asm Winsock programming. http downloader sample.
  v.. http://www.opferman.com some tutorials in the Dox section, 3D asm in the
Source Code section.
  w.. http://www.fastsoftware.com/Code.htm game programming
  x.. http://bizarrecreations.webjump.com/ DirectX OpenGL, how to write one
program for dos/win32
  y.. http://i.am/MrCrimson (partial cache 20011211142246 ) WinHelps for Win32
programming: OLE, TAPI, Setup API,  OpenGL, Multimedia, WinSock
  z.. http://deadlyzone.virtualave.net Excellent tools (most for cracking but
usefull for debugging)
  aa.. http://protools.cjb.net/ not legal to download tools from here!
  ab.. http://www.phrozencrew.com/win32asm.htm email program?
  ac.. http://pluto.spaceports.com/~titiasm/samsrc.html Code library.
  ad.. http://www.titiasm.cjb.net/
  ae.. http://www.forthinc.com/Content/Products/SwForth/SwForth.htm Win32
Forth!
  af.. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ernies_world/ Excellent leading
edge work on COM, Activex, scripting, and debugging.
Books

  a.. Graphics programming using assembly by Ron Thomas for $17.50 USD
  b.. The Waite Group Win32 API set
    a.. windows 95 Win32 programming API Bible from the Waite Group
    Manditory. You must have this book. Well worth the money.
    b.. windows 95 Common Controls & Messages Api Bible; Richard J. Simon
    c.. windows 95 Multimedia & Odbc Api Bible; Richard J. Simon(Editor), et al
    d.. The Waite Group's windows Api Bible : The Definitive Programmers
Reference; James L. Conger
  c.. General Purpose Api Functions (Osborne windows programming); Herbert
Schildt, et al
  d.. windows assembly Lanugage & Systems programming by Barry Kauler
ISBN:0-87930-474-X
  e.. Writing windows VxDs & Device Drivers; programming Secrets for Virtual
Device Drivers; Karen Hazzah
  f.. Systems programming for windows 95 (Microsoft Progamming Series); Walter
Oney
  g.. windows Internals : The Implementation of the windows Operating
Environment (The Andrew Schulman programming Series); Matt Pietrek
  h.. The Undocumented PC : A Programmer's Guide to I/O, Cpus, and Fixed Memory
Areas; Frank Van Gilluwe
  i.. Writing windows Virtual Device Drivers; David Thielen, Bryan Woodruff
  j.. assembly language : Step-By-Step (Coriolis Group Book); Jeff Duntemann
  k..

James Newton's Win32Asm WebRing site.
[ Previous | Next | List ]

Questions:

  a.. TakeThisOuTwadr at spamadinet.com.uy asks:
    Can someone help me width this code :

    void __inline * memcpy(void *dest, const void *src, size_t size) {
    bprintf("memcpy(0x%x,0x%x,0x%x);\n",dest,src,size);
    __asm__ (
    " push %%esi \n"
    " push %%edi \n"
    " push %%ecx \n"
    " mov %0, %%esi \n"
    " mov %1, %%edi \n"
    " mov %2, %%ecx \n"
    " push %%ecx \n"
    " shr $2, %%ecx \n"
    " rep movsl \n"
    " pop %%ecx \n"
    " and $3, %%ecx \n"
    " rep movsb \n"
    " pop %%ecx \n"
    " pop %%edi \n"
    " pop %%esi \n"
    : : "S" (src), "D" (dest), "c" (size)
    );
    return dest;
    }

    I never saw before a inline assembly wrote in that way. ( width %, $, \n
and between "" )
    and i specially can´t understand this
    : : "S" (src), "D" (dest), "c" (size)

    thanks a lot

  it is assembly using Visual C+++
Comments:

  a..
  b.. With the src coming before the dest and the $ preceding immediate values
and the % in front of registers it looks like assembly code int AT&T asm
language syntax+
  c.. 12/21/02
  Ref: http://www.sxlist.com/techref/language/asm/win32asm.htm

  The link in paragraph 4 "Microsoft Win32 API online documentation..."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/isapi/msdnlib.idc?theURL=/library/psdk/psdkref/alphafunc_3bjm.htm
  is incorrect.

  The new WIN32 API URL is

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winprog/winprog/windows_api_reference.asp

  Andy+
John Ellard Says:

  I have found this page to be very useful! This page is the reason I chose to
become a PICList member.

  NOTE: Some of the links on this page and/or subsequent pages referenced from
here are outdated, but don't let that discourage you from exploring the "good"
links on this page!

+

      file: /Techref/language/asm/win32asm.htm, 19KB, , updated: 2010/12/21
07:25, local time: 2011/8/17 20:59, owner: size111-hotmail-,
      TOP NEW HELP FIND:     173.255.22.22:LOG IN©2011 PLEASE DON'T RIP! DO:
LINK / DIGG! / MAKE!

        ©2011 These pages are served without commercial sponsorship. (No popup
ads, etc...).Bandwidth abuse increases hosting cost forcing sponsorship or
shutdown. This server aggressively defends against automated copying for any
reason including offline viewing, duplication, etc... Please respect this
requirement and DO NOT RIP THIS SITE. Questions?
      Please DO link to this page! Digg it! / MAKE! /  /

      <A HREF="http://www.piclist.com/techref/language/asm/win32asm.htm";>
Win32Asm, MASM, Windows Internals</A>

   After you find an appropriate page, you are invited to  your  question
comment link preformated text to this massmind site! (posts will be visible
only to you before review) Just type in the box and press the Post button.
(HTML welcomed, but not the <A tag: Instead, use the link box to link to
another page. A tutorial is available Members can login to post directly,
become page editors, and be credited for their posts.

Link? Put it here:
if you want a response, please enter your email address:
Attn spammers: All posts are reviewed before being made visible to anyone other
than the poster. Did you find what you needed? From:
"http://www.google.ca/search"; "assembly language programming windows"
        a..
        b..   "No. I'm looking for: "
        c.. "No. Take me to the search page."
        d.. "No. Take me to the top so I can drill down by catagory"
        e.. "No. I'm willing to pay for help, please refer me to a qualified
consultant"
        f..     "No. But I'm interested.  me at  when this page is expanded."

         PICList 2011 contributors:
      o List host: MIT, Site host massmind.org, Top posters @20110817
RussellMc, Olin Lathrop, Michael Watterson, V G, Oli Glaser, IVP, Bob Blick,
alan.b.pearce, Herbert Graf, Isaac Marino Bavaresco,
      * Page Editors: James Newton, David Cary, and YOU!
      * Roman Black of Black Robotics donates from sales of Linistep stepper
controller kits.
      * Ashley Roll of Digital Nemesis donates from sales of RCL-1 RS232 to TTL
converters.
      * Monthly Subscribers: None at this time. on-going support is MOST
appreciated!
      * Contributors: Richard Seriani, Sr.

  .