Re: Blind Programming, Workshop 1, Narrated Video

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 09:27:05 -0500

An excellent question!

The short answer is, yes, we do. First, while Hop is a language
designed to be easy to use (explored in formal studies), it is also a
legit programming language that works like any other. As such, while
Hop isn't quite commercially scalable quite yet, we are working hard
on optimization issues to make it so. For example, I just finished the
first round of debugger optimizations for Hop. The new debugger
architecture in Sodbeans 1.5 (released hopefully in december), is
57,261% faster than the 1.0 release so far, and it's only getting
better.

Second, the tools we've created are integrated into NetBeans 6.9,
which is a standard programming environment and includes lots of other
languages the students can play with and learn, without having to
change tools or environments. Now, in practice, Java, Python, or other
NetBeans supported languages, don't have talking debuggers, and they
certainly don't connect easily to a screen reader, but what we would
really like to do is get talking debuggers ready for other languages
as well, so that kids can transition more easily, and so that
professionals have better audio environments available for
professional level work as well. With that said, creating a talking
debugger for every language would definitely require collaboration
with a number of other groups and industry. It's also pretty
difficult, as not all languages are open source or are easily
modifiable, and just from the natural complexity of writing debuggers,
which is pretty brain bending at times.

So yaa, that's the basic plan. You asked a great question, and this
transfer effect idea, as it is called, has been very important to our
research team.

Stefik