Re: Blind Programming, Workshop 1, Narrated Video

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 10:27:24 -0500

Jude,

> Hugely!  Thanks much, and if I find anything I can replicate along these bugs
> lines I'll let you know about it.  The other programmer/manager using
> netbeans-ruby is also using an editor called scintilla and you have to build
> it once you download it.  Will scintilla be acceptable as an editor or do
> better alternatives exist?

Right now, our editor needs a lot of work. It definitely is
accessible, but when we went out to work with the kids at the
washington state school for the blind recently, we observed a few
usability problems, which I think are almost all fixed now in the 1.5
branch. However, the default editor from NetBeans should work just
fine with Sappy in any netbeans supported language, in JAWS, NVDA, on
Mac OS X, and with no screen reader installed. So, it's already
accessible, but now we want to make really user friendly.

As for scintilla, I haven't heard of that one. If you think there's
some good ideas in there related to editors for the blind, I'll ask my
graduate student to do a usability analysis of it, to see if we can
learn something from its design. Thanks for the suggestion!

>It might be interesting to cycle through all available open source
>netbeans-compatible editors with sodbeans and sapi installed on a >screen
>reader equipped system if for no other reason than to find out which of those
>editors might offer the most performance benefits >for sodbeans and sapi users
>in that context.

It is as if you pulled this straight from my brain. I couldn't agree more.

Stefik