RE: Audio UML

  • From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 18:16:43 -0500

Hi Andreas,

Check out Dorian Miller's work, deepView

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~dorianm/academics/deepview/index.html

Also, you should check out anything by Chieko Asakawa at IBM, as she always
produces top notch quality work, no matter how hard IBM tries to screw it
up. The reason I bring her up is because I saw some interesting work from
her in the context of making presentation slide blocks accessible via visual
analysis, and I talked with her briefly about extending this technique to
graph and UML accessibility. Currently she's busy with aDesigner, I believe,
but she might have moved on already.

There's a short blurb of a page on her, here:

http://domino.research.ibm.com/comm/research_people.nsf/pages/chie.index.htm

And here is the aDesigner website:

http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/adesigner

Analyzing visual layout for a non-visual presentation-document interface

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1169016

Gap analysis of ODF v1.0 Accessibility

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/17878/intro_and_gapanalysi
s-0428.pdf

She is also familiar with deepview, and she expressed interest in merging
efforts with Dorian at some point in the future, although Dorian is planning
on moving on, I believe, after he finishes up his PhD in the near future.

Here is how the Urakawa Project solved the UML accessibility problem:

http://urakawa.sourceforge.net/UrakawaProject_ArchitectureTeam_Milestone2.ma
rkdown.txt.html

I should not forget to mention the TeDub project, found at:

http://www.TeDub.org

Please note, it seems that TeDub's site is down.

Here is a paper on TeDub.

TEDUB: AUTOMATIC INTERPRETATION AND PRESENTATION OF TECHNICAL DIAGRAMS FOR
BLIND PEOPLE

http://forte.fh-hagenberg.at/Project-Homepages/Blindenhund/conferences/grana
da/papers/HORSTMANN/horstmann.html

I think that should be enough to get you going, but there are some other
resources, and I think Will Pearson, the academic's academic, the
researcher's researcher, and PhD extraordinaire can provide some other
links.

Take care,
Sina