Re: Apache Administration Material

  • From: "E.J. Zufelt" <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 14:19:41 -0300

Good afternoon Jim,

On 2-Apr-09, at 2:03 PM, Homme, James wrote:

Hi,
I know this subject has come up here before. Usually you don’t care unless you need something.

1.       Can I put Linux on a Windows computer without sighted help?

Yes, either as a multi-boot (you will select the operating system at boot time) or as a Virtual Machine (VM), in which case you can run Linux from within Windows. Virtualbox is my Virtual Machine manager of choice for Windows. It has an inaccessible GUI, but an easy to learn command line interface for creating and managing VMs

2.       Where do I learn about that and how to start working with it?

I would look at VirtualBox.org. I recommend Ubuntu linux as it has an accessible installer and runs well as a VM under Virtualbox. Others may have other suggestions. Directions for installing Ubuntu with speech can be found at http://www.lalrecordings.com/page/Linux.aspx

3.       Can I run either Windows or Linux on that computer.

Yes, either one at a time or both together.

4. How do I pick which one to run while the computer is starting?
This is tricky. If you use the grub boot manager (part of many Linux installs) then it is possible to insert beeps into each menu item (operating system choice). You can then count the beeps to the operating system of choice. This is why I recommend using a VM if you are only using Linux for personal use or education

Thanks.
Jim

Jim Homme, Usability Engineering.
412-544-1810.