[procps] Re: pidof in procps-ng

  • From: Jaromir Capik <jcapik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 12:14:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hi guys.

> > Do you remember our discussion about adopting pidof?
> > I'm unsure what the conslusion was. Are you going
> > to modify pgrep to do the work or should I?
> The conclusion was that yes it can roll into procps-ng.
> I don't think we got further than that.  If you have the time then
> yes go ahead - I think the idea of trying to re-use pgrep might be the
> way to go.

Craig, I just started modifying pgrep to act as the former pidof
when correctly symlinked ... and the conslusion is:

I don't consider pgrep suitable for adopting the pidof behaviour.
The matching/sorting logic is so different, that it resulted in
something like 'application in application'.

Would you mind if I create a separate pidof application
instead of modifying pgrep?

Please, let me know.

Regards,
Jaromir.

--
Jaromir Capik
Red Hat Czech, s.r.o.

Email: jcapik@xxxxxxxxxx
Web: www.cz.redhat.com
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45, Brno, Czech Republic
IC: 27690016