[procps] kill(1) consolidation

  • From: Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps-ng <procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:30:49 +0200

 Hi guys,

 I'd like to consolidate kill(1). The currently available and in
 distros used implementations are from procps and util-linux (let's
 ignore things like shell, ..etc).

 The current situation:

  - confusing for users
  - we duplicate our effort
  - very basic util is not compatible in all distros (for example
    util-linux version supports RT signals and sigqueue(2), procps
    version provides -L option)

 What about to drop kill(1) from procps-ng?

 From my point of view it seems better to have command line wrappers
 for basic syscalls like kill(2) in util-linux and utils for work with
 /proc in procps. There is no relation between kill(1) and /proc.

 It seems that all what is necessary is only to remove or #ifdef the
 function kill_main() from skill.c and add -L to util-linux.

 Comments?

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>