[pisa-src] Re: directory layout

  • From: Tobias Heer <heer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pisa-src@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 23:34:24 +0100

Am 07.11.2009 um 19:05 schrieb René Hummen:

On Nov 7, 2009, at 6:58 PM, Diego Biurrun wrote:

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 12:12:44PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 08:12:13PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
[...]

On second thought, maybe we should clean up the directory structure at
the top level a bit first.  I'm wondering especially about

auto-update  hipl-kernel-files

Is this stuff still in use (what for?) and should we keep it at the
top-level?

.. ping .. - anybody?

auto-update:
I think this can be attributed to Tobi. It's unused functionality and more of a concept of an auto-update mechanism. Tobi, maybe you can tell a bit more about that!?

This is a clumsy way of creating som auto configuration and auto update functionality for some routers. It configures the routers at runtime, hence, only one image is needed for many routers. I would like to keep it as inspiration for a proper auto config script. The current way of setting up different routers (creating distinct firmware images) only works for very small numbers of routers (1 or 2) everything else is just pain.

We can move this into a subdirectory but we shouldn't abandon it before the problem of dynamic configuration from one base image is solved.

hipl-kernel-files:
If at all, these files belong to the HIPL repository. I've never seen them before, so I cannot tell whether they are redundant, missing in HIPL or plain useless by now.

Ciao,
René

---
Dipl.-Inform. René Hummen, Ph.D. Student
Distributed Systems Group
RWTH Aachen University, Germany
tel: +49 241 80 20772
web: http://ds.rwth-aachen.de/members/hummen

--
Dipl.-Inform. Tobias Heer, Ph.D. Student
Distributed Systems Group
RWTH Aachen University, Germany
tel: +49 241 80 207 76
web: http://ds.cs.rwth-aachen.de/members/heer