[phoenixdiy] Re: May or June meeting?

  • From: "Edward Sulfaro" <ed.sulfaro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phoenixdiy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 22:00:59 -0700

Yeah, sorry about not responding to the ride question. I live in the
opposite direction of ASU from you, but I still should have responded
(I only didn't because I thought there was going to be a flood of "no"
that would over-run the list. But doesn't look like that kind of thing
is too likely, is it? :)

Perhaps we should put up a Google map (or similar) to plot out where
the people that go to these meetings actually live (or at least would
be coming from) so as to determine what would be appropriate meeting
areas if not locations. Linked off of the blog for quick reference?
And a million dollars. (I always like to add that last one in case
random wishes are granted. Pay it no mind.)

This all might get easier after that darned light rail gets finished,
but until then...

Personally, I would be open to odd venues for this sort of group, such
as coffee houses or Denny's (as long as I didn't *have* to order
something.) Depending on time and day there are often parks, community
centers, libraries, or possibly even schools that may allow us a
meeting room. I feel like we (as a group) still aren't really too sure
as to what sort of group we want to be.

As far as helping on a presentation, well if you really need help I
could always "pretend" that I'm good at speaking in front of a group.
That works more often than not. Or else I'm *really* delusional.

-Edward

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Michael Elliott
<opporknockitytunes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> potential wait time for buses).  I've done it for a couple job
> interviews and seminars and such that were at least theoretically
> worth the time, but I can only do those with sufficient planning well
> in advance.
>
> Biking from the end of the bus ride to wherever a meeting would be at
> ASU is easy enough, it's getting *to* ASU that is not really possible
> either by bike or by bus, for the sole reason that unless I know about
> a meeting far enough in advance (about 6 weeks) to ask for the day of
> and after off of work, I can't risk going that far and either wearing
> myself out or being unable to get back in time to get enough sleep for
> the next workday.
>
> Since my workplace usually doesn't make the schedule for my workweek
> until late the day before the workweek starts, I cannot know more than
> 0-6 days in advance whether or not I will be off on any particular
> day.  If the meetings were scheduled a lot further in advance, I
> *could* plan to ride the bus or bike out to ASU area for them,
> otherwise, not really.   Even riding with someone is difficult because
> of this, since without the advance notice I can't guarantee I'll have
> the day in question off, or at least the part of it the meeting is
> happening in (since it's retail, the shifts can be anywhere between
> 7am to 10pm)
>

>>> May's been a busy month, what with most of the organizers finishing up
>>> the school semester and travelling to Maker Faire (which was awesome,
>>> by the way).
>
> Someday, I'd love to go to one of those, too--when i can make it there
> in an HPV/electric-assist of my own making, I'll go for sure.  :-)
>

>>> We're planning on a meeting for June with a couple of
>>> ideas for presenters; anyone wanna open that discussion up?
>
> I'm afraid I'm not good at actual presentations, just about talking
> ideas out with people and/or working on them, or I'd volunteer to
> discuss electric bikes or other HPV's (as it's the only recent thing I
> have been doing--all my other hobbies have been put to the side for
> almost a year now to give me time for this).  Despite my written
> verbiage, I'm not actually much of a talker (or at least, not a public
> speaker).
>
> Anyone else on the list interested in either subject, perhaps enough
> to work up a joint presentation or something?
>

> --
> --
> Michael Elliott
> Cybernetic Necromancers, Discorporated
> Phoenix, AZ
> E-Bicycle Conversion Blog: http://opporknockitytunes.blogspot.com
> You've received this message via Phoenix DIY:
> http://sternlab.org/phoenixdiy
> phoenixdiy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> If you're a maker, hacker, or crafter in the Phoenix metro area, join us for
> our monthly meetings!
>
> To unsubscribe or edit your subscription settings, please visit: