[phoenix-project] Re: An interesting "virtual lab" setup

  • From: "Pramode C.E" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phoenix-project@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 23:06:50 +0530

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Georges Khaznadar <
georges.khaznadar@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Pramode C.E a écrit :
> > Check out:
> >
> > http://news.stanford.edu/news/2013/december/lab-ina-box-120613.html
>
> The ideas about remote experiments are always very interesting, and
> specially in the educational context.
>
> However I strongly disagree with the "advance" presented in this
> e-paper: when results from a real experiment are casted into a static
> collection of documents, the work that students can do with it is only
> documentary or encyclopedic work; it is intisically different from
> performing an experiment, even if you try to mix it with the MOOC hype.

I too have my reservations regarding this; but then, in a MOOC context, we
are
talking of tens of thousands of students - it would be really tough to give
ALL these
participants remote access to real, physical experimental apparatus.

> My intuition is that we should give our students an opportunity to create
> remotely accessible experiments by themselves; such an experiment
> ultimately costs an expEyes box, a webcam, a network-enabled computer
> (no keyboard, no mouse, no display) and a network access, plus a few
> external components to do the physics.

This is the ideal situation - but the question again remains as to how do
we give simultaneous access to a very large number of people?

regards,
pramode