Re: [PCWorks] Router Firewall

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 02:56:02 -0500

>>Anybody still around on this list?

I've been wondering that myself. <confused>

Some routers will have certain ports "open" by default, some
won't.  I say "open" in quotes because they may not actually be
"open" but they will be usable (which is what you want in a
router).  You need to go to https://www.grc.com/default.htm,
scroll down to "ShieldsUP!" and go there.  There is a "Proceed"
button on the page you have to click, then on the next page go
under "ShieldsUP!!  Services", it's kind of a box with links in
it and click "All Service Ports".  After a couple of minutes or
so, you will be presented with sort of a graphical "box" with a
square on it for EACH port.  You have to get someone to check
it for you, EVERY square should be green, which is "Stealthed".
Blue is "open" which you do not want (but I don't know how to
fix that, it just means the router isn't very good or secure).
And you can go back to the previous page under "ShieldsUP!!
Services", and there's a text input box under "You may select
any service from among those listed above . . ." where you can
type any port number you want then click "User specified custom
port probe" underneath to have specific ones tested (which is
faster but it won't tell you the whole story about ALL ports).

I've used many routers and I never seen one where you could not
change the password.  You should be able to do that, maybe
you're just missing the area, or something may have to be
"reset".  That info should be the manual.
-Clint

God Bless,
Clint Hamilton, Owner
www.OrpheusComputing.com