Re: [PCWorks] PCWorks] Repairing XP pro

  • From: Hugh Vandervoort <hughv2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:17:05 -0500

Welcome to the world of Open Source, Ed.
I think this might have gotten more attention under a new subject line
(Open Source Software?), but we're pretty informal lately.
I notice also that we're all leaving a lot unnecessary material in the
replies, so maybe more trimming is in order.
For those not familiar with Open Source, almost all of the software we
use on a regular basis, like the programs mentioned by Ed, can be
replaced by free equivalents from outfits like Mozilla, where you can
find Firefox, Thunderbird and Sunbird, as a well as the numerous
plug-ins that make this software so flexible.
I would also encourage you to  look at Source Forge:"...the world's
largest Open Source software development web site"
http://sourceforge.net/
For the real tinkerer, check out out Linux, which can wean you from
Windows altogether:  http://www.linux.org/
I'm currently dual-booting Ubuntu and XP Pro on my other machine, whcih
is a breeze to install, and easy to use:  http://www.ubuntu.com/
There have been many predictions about the future of Linux, which have
failed to materialize, but Vista seems to have given it a real leg up,
so maybe it will get up to the 3.9% that Mac claims soon.