[PCWorks] Is It Safe?

  • From: James Powell <jpowel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:56:43 -0800 (PST)

I have a Dell notebook with a built in wireless card (Windows XP). How safe is
it to connect your laptop or notebook to a public Internet access, say at a
Starbucks, or at a cafe or at the airport. I see people doing this all of the
time. Let's say that you are logging into your bank accout on a secure bank
sight, can your password be intercepeted? Can your account information be seen
by others? What additional precautions should be taken when logging into these
sights?

  Thanks,

  -jp