[PCWorks] Installing 2 versions of FireFox, odd problems

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 00:28:00 -0500

This is regarding and started with
//www.freelists.org/post/pcworks/How-do-you-go-back-to-a-previous-version-of-FireFox

I installed http://www.mozbackup.org/ and did a backup of
everything in FF that it could.

I found v3.5.2 at
http://www.oldversion.com/Mozilla-Firefox.html and I installed
it in a NEW FOLDER, separate from v3.6.3 so I could have both
installed.

I clicked to start v3.5.2, and to my shock, all of the
extensions FROM v3.6.3 were already installed and setup!  How
is that possible?  The 'Real Player Browser Record' plugin was
back and working on v3.5.2, while it does show up at YouTube
for example, the YT jerks have found a way to still disable it!
But at least it will work at other websites.  (With FF at YT
one will just have to use another plugin like
"VideoDownloader").

I closed v3.5.2 and opened 3.6.3, and both were still
installed, and working "independently" of each other, but I
don't know just how independently because of the extensions
mysteriously showing up installed and configured on v3.5.2.
Does the Mozilla installer look for setup files or Profile
folders from past installations and apply those to all
installs?  (If so, shouldn't it ASK if that's what you want to
do?)  So it seems all is ok.

So I shut my PC down for the day, restarted it today, went to
start v3.5.2 and for some reason this time there was a box that
showed up saying something like or about "....checking add-on
compatibility....".  I don't understand why that didn't happen
yesterday when I first loaded it.

Then I started v3.6.3 and it also did the same thing!  Also, it
somehow re-added 2 add-ons to the main browser bar at the top
that I had previously REMOVED.  It also didn't go to my default
FF page, it went to that Mozilla page saying something like
"Welcome to FF 3.6.3".  Well, that's what I have been running
for several weeks now!

Each time I open 3.6.3, still after a wait of MINUTES (AFTER
FIRST opening 3.5.2), the "Add-ons" panel immediately opens up!
And it goes through that "....checking add-on
compatibility...." again!  And it also says I have installed 3
new extensions!!  Oh really??  WHICH ONES???  It also keeps
RE-enabling one of the two I disabled!  It also keeps going
back to the Mozilla default page saying I have 3.6.3 installed!

If I open 3.6.3 again WITHOUT first opening 3.5.2, all is
normal!  (Again, after a wait of 5+ minutes).  Then if I go to
open 3.5.2, then it goes through all that BS again described
above with 3.6.3!  If it open 3.5.2 again, it's normal!

It would seem two versions of FF cannot exist on the same
PC. ??  If they can, how do I stop this intolerable behavior?

Thanks,
-Clint

God Bless,
Clint Hamilton, Owner