[PCWorks] File names missing in thumbnail views - Fix

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 01:17:22 -0500

Can anyone tell me what the......is going on here?
http://i39.tinypic.com/o6fjnk.png

Every time I search for something on my HD's, and right click
to go to the "View" > "Thumbnails", that happens!  No more
names for the files!  In that example, I needed to add
something to my Hosts file so I searched for "etc" (the folder
where you find it).  That first folder highlighted is the
"Prefetch" folder, and look at the lower left; its name doesn't
even show there!  It only shows "C:\WINDOWS" and no
name after that!  But if you go to the "List" or "Details"
view, that lower left area HAS the FULL path and file name
as it should!  And sometimes even if you hover over the file
it still won't show the filename on the popup!  But sometimes
it does.

This ONLY happens for a search, it does not happen if I open
any folder and view the contents as thumbnails, that is part is
normal.

This has never happened before, it started several days ago,
and I have done nothing to my PC that could have caused this.

Ok I found the fix, and I'm posting this because this is really
obscure and probably not known to many.  Obviously I
accidentally held the [Shift] key down while viewing the
thumbnails in the search results pane.  To fix it and get the
file names and full paths back, hold the [Shift] key down then
right click > View > Thumbnails, then the file names will be
shown again.
-Clint

God Bless,
Clint Hamilton, Owner