[PCWorks] Anyone know anything about http header requests and webpage redirects?

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin-OrpheusComputing.com & ComputersCustomBuilt.com" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 05:00:29 -0500

Hi all.  As I mentioned in my last post, someone has redirected
http://pcworkers.com to the page I created for the list
http://www.orpheuscomputing.com/PCworks-computer-help-email-list.html .
Ordinarily this is a good thing, but in keeping with the
asinine behavior of google (long story), the page I created WAS
in the first position in their index (for PCworks and computer
help email list), but after the redirect was put into place
they deleted the page I created!  Of course this didn't happen
in Yahoo, they don't do things like that.  Apparently G saw
this as duplicate content.

Now the problem with the redirect as it appears to be a meta
refresh redirect and NOT a 302 (temp) or the better 301
(permanent) redirect.  I ran that page though some http header
checkers and they all say it's an http 200 request.  Those that
know about the net will know what I'm talking about.  If it was
a 301 then http://pcworkers.com would have been the page
eventually phased out of the index.  Can anyone see anything
other than a 200 code on that page, and or can anyone figure
out how the redirect is being done?  I tried looking at the
cached page in Y and G and the HTML code doesn't show any
kind of meta redirect, could be if it's there now the cached
page was before it was in place.

If someone on this list is somehow responsible for having this
redirect done, then thank you, but please make it a 301
redirect.  That would also make other pages on the site like
http://pcworkers.com/rules.htm go to the new webpage, and pass
the PR (PageRank) over from over 6400 IBL's (inbound links).
For a 301, a line or a few lines of code would need to be
placed in the .htaccess file on the server.  I'm familiar with
internal redirects, but not from one domain to another.  I
THINK it's as simple as:

RewriteEngine on
redirect 301 /
http://www.orpheuscomputing.com/PCworks-computer-help-email-list.html

That second line is all ONE LINE with a space after the / mark.
The / mark after "301" denotes the home page of the
pcworkers.com domain in which the line is placed in its
.htaccess file.  This only works on an Apache/Unix server which
I'm assuming it is.

Better yet, will you please let me know what's actually taking
place with it?  Because this is strange.  I just checked the PR
of the page I created and it's a 4.  The only way to my
knowledge that would be possible is if a 301 redirect is being
done to that page from http://pcworkers.com , correct?  If so,
then why does all header checkers show it as a 200?
http://www.webrankinfo.com/english/tools/server-header.php
Even if it is a 301 I believe the only way the PR would be
maintained is if all of those 6400+ IBL's linked to the new
page instead of the old.
Thanks,
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com
http://www.ComputersCustomBuilt.com
http://Computer-Hardware-Sales-Consumer-Electronics-Sales.com
(PLEASE include ALL previous correspondence if replying to
this email or you will NOT RECEIVE A REPLY!!  This means
you AOL'ers, CompuServe & WebTV!!  Workaround by highlighting
the entire message then click on the Reply button!!  Please
LEARN how to use email!  The ENTIRE internet thanks you!!)