-=PCTechTalk=- borked D-Link wireless card uninstallation

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <ekhart.georgi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 08:48:00 +0300

I started using a D-Link wireless card on XP after a break of more than
two years and this caused a bsod, even when trying to install a new
driver. The bsod mentioned rt61.sys, which i removed from C:\Program
Files\D-Link\AirPlus G since D-Link's tech support and website support
info were completely useless/nonexistent and incompetent.

The card is working now, but the computer keeps opening an explorer
window with the folder C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G. This is only a
minor annoyance, but explorer.exe also hogs quite a bit of CPU after
booting.

I ran CCleaner and went through the registry and manually deleted all
entries referring to C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G (new driver is in
C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G DWL-G630), but the situation is
unchanged. I would no doubt get rid of the explorer popup if i removed
the folder C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G in explorer, but that would
probably not get rid of the CPU hogging and perhaps make it worse.

Another reason i don't want to remove the old, empty installation folder
is that i realised we may all have such errors due to borked
uninstallations on our computers, and these can help explain why some
even new computers are sluggish after booting and later.

Thanks for any ideas or help, Ekhart
in the Subject.