-=PCTechTalk=- XP upgrade vs. clean install "leftovers"~!L

  • From: ~Lacey~ <stormy1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:34:17 -0700

Well as some of you may have noticed I've spent most of my weekend moving
over to Windows XP. On the first go-around I did the upgrade option (yes I
regret it)!

After things didn't work as expected I went back and did a clean install
option but that has left me with two OS choices on reboot -- Windows XP
Professional and Windows XP Professional....(yes they're identical) the 2nd
being the upgrade that didn't work.

So I have a question or two -- how do I get rid of the 2nd one off the list
of OS system choices on bootup -- its useless anyway as it freezes up when I
go into it and can't do anything anyway. Second question is -- I had
previously win2kpro which was installed in C:\WINNT -- which is where the
upgrade went to -- the clean install went to c:\windows which is the one I'm
going to keep.

Can I delete c:\winnt ?? Its a couple of gigs big and from what I can see
full of useless settings and so on -- if I were to decide to go back to
win2k for some reason I'd do a clean install anyway.

Can I ?? Huh huh? Please can I??  :) (And will that make the 2 choices
disappear on bootup too??)

~Lacey~