-=PCTechTalk=- Re: XP upgrade vs. clean install "leftovers"~!L

  • From: "Trevnal" <trev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 08:11:02 +0100

~Lacey~

Yes you can delete the c:\winnt folder and get rid of it all as you are
using the new one from the windows folder.  This however will not get rid of
the option to chose between the two copies that have been installed.

You can however fix this by editing a file on the computer.  you need to
look in the c:\ drive and find a file called boot.ini.   It may be hidden so
you can not find it.  To find and see it, make sure you have windows
explorer open, click on TOOLS, FOLDER OPTIONS, and then VIEW.  You next have
to go through the list of tick boxes, and put ticks / marks in the boxed
that say "Show hidden System files" and  then un-tick the box "Hide
extensions for known file types".  Now click on "APPLY TO ALL FOLDERS" at
the top of the window, and you are done.

To edit the file called boot.ini, make a copy and put it on a floppy disk or
something ,and remove all the attributes, like being read only and hidden.
Now the one that is left on your c: drive, use rename to change the ini to a
txt extension.  When it asks you say yes.  Now you can open it and work on
it with a text program like WordPad or notepad.

You need to carefully read what is written in the box, and look for the two
different windows entries.  You can remove the correct one.  if you are not
sure, either copy the text and email to the group, so one of us can tell you
the right one, or email it to me and I will look for you.  I can't remember
how it looks with out seeing it, as I have not edited a dual boot ini or a
while now, sorry.

Hope this has helped you out,

Trevnal