-=PCTechTalk=- XP Home Boot Problem

  • From: "Fred Ward" <Fred.Ward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:43:41 +0100

I'm trying to fix a colleagues computer, but I'm getting nowhere.

The PC was made by Tiny and has XP Home with SP1 installed.

From the comments he made, the PC crashed while he was trying to reload an
earlier 'good configuration' via the standard restore process.

Now, I can boot the PC into DOS mode no problem, but cannot get the PC to
load in normal windows configuration, safe mode or the most recent good
configuration - it will however log the boot.

The boot appears to hang with a blank screen in all cases.

The ntbtlog.txt file indicates its in the middle of loading the drivers when
the file ends and scandisk flags the SYSTEM.Log file as showing the
incorrect length.

I've already tried copying all the drivers from my PC (also XP Home SP1),
but the results are the same.

Is there any way I can restore a previous "good configuration" from DOS or
any other way forward without losing all his data? (Tiny don't supply
windows disks, so I can't reload Windows on top of what is currently there).

Any ideas/suggestions much appreciated.

Regards,

Fred